The Salina Art Center is now accepting Letters of Intent for its inaugural Curatorial Fellowship Residency. For nearly forty years, the Salina Art Center has been at the forefront of contemporary visual arts programming for community-based art centers. The Art Center’s Curatorial Fellow-in-Residence program gives advanced graduate students in art history, museum studies, curatorial studies, and related fields an opportunity to develop their curatorial practice with a focus on community-responsive projects and contemporary art. This competitive, 9-month position will provide the awardee with lodging and a stipend. In return, the awardee will:
- Develop a large-scale exhibition featuring national and international artists
- Develop an exhibition of work by area and regional artists
- Engage the local community of artists
- Minimum of 3 years professional curatorial experience
- Advanced degree or graduate work in art history, museum studies, curatorial studies, or related field
- Knowledge of contemporary art, artists, and practices
- Willingness to engage and work with area and regional artists
- Ability to work independently and with staff, board, volunteers, and representatives of local cultural organizations
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and public presentations
- Ability to develop and manage exhibition and program budgets
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with current museum standards and practices
- ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with programming related to exhibitions
- Assist with grant writing and fundraising for extra-budgetary expenses related to projects
- Curatorial support for loan exhibitions
- Attend staff meetings
- Attend Art Center functions
- $20,000 exhibition budget
- Housing and utilities
- $2,000 per month stipend
- $1,000 moving allowance
- Administrative support
ABOUT THE SALINA ART CENTER
The Salina Art Center is a nonprofit, contemporary art and education center with the mission to create exchanges among art, artists, and audiences that reveal life. The Art Center’s programming is connected to a schedule of contemporary visual art exhibitions of work by regional, national, and international artists in a wide variety of media. Exhibitions serve as a catalyst for generating conversations around ideas and issues relevant to personal and community development. The Art Center carries out its mission through artist, education, exhibition, film and video, and outreach programs designed to provide constituents with opportunities for meaningful experiences through active encounters with viewing and making visual art.
The Salina Art Center is located in historic downtown Salina, Kansas, and has a national reputation as an innovative, artist-supportive, and audience-responsive institution. Its programs have been a vital part of the community’s robust cultural life since 1978. The Art Center has three distinct facilities: the main location, which houses over 3,300 square feet of galleries, a 2,700 square feet education wing, and administrative offices; the Art Center Cinema, a ninety-two-seat theater for first run independent, documentary, and international films; and the Warehouse, a 4,500 square feet living and working space for artists-in-residence. The Salina Art Center is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Applicants should use the online form at https://goo.gl/eqFsM4 to submit a Letter of Intent in the form of a 500-750 word statement by March 31, 2017.
The statement should include a summary of education and curatorial experience, a statement of curatorial philosophy, and a brief description of the large-scale exhibition applicant intends to propose. Invitations to submit a full proposal will be made by April 10, 2017. Full proposals will be due April 24 and will include: Current CV; writing samples; fully developed proposal for a large-scale exhibition, including a tentative checklist and budget; and 3 professional references. Applicants will be notified by May 12, 2017.
The Salina Art Center is an EOE and has a policy of nondiscrimination for all persons regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and disability. For more information, call 785.827.1431 or write email@example.com.