Whether standing on a soapbox or shouting from the rooftops, advocating on behalf of artists' residencies and individual artists is at the core of the Alliance's work!
Current legislative areas of focus include:
- Increased funding for National Endowment for the Arts and a rejection of any attempt to reduce its size or scope
- Affordable health insurance for artists and small businesses through Affordable Care Act
- Opposition to policies that limit the free exchange of art, artists, and ideas based on nationality, faith, race, age or ability. Strong support for policies that foster cultural exchange and support free movement of artists internationally.
- Fair market value deductions for artists who donate their work.
Past advocacy initiatives have included:
- "Be Our Guest," a series of public programs on residencies, serving artists from around the country.
- Advocacy National Endowment for the Arts: The Alliance's advocacy work on behalf of the field led the NEA to create a new funding category for artists' communities in November 2009.
- Previously, the Alliance worked with the NEA to create a separate selection panel for residencies in the multidisciplinary category, resulting in a 48% increase in NEA funding to residencies.