Whether standing on a soapbox or shouting from the rooftops, advocating on behalf of artists' communities and individual artists is at the core of the Alliance's work!
Current legislative areas of focus include:
- Increased funding for NEA and NEH
- Affordable healthcare for individuals and small businesses
- Investment in international cultural exchange
- Fair market value deductions for artists who donate their work.
Past advocacy initiatives have included:
- Advocacy National Endowment for the Arts: The Alliance's advocacy work on behalf of the field led the NEA to create a new funding category for artists' communities in November 2009.
- Previously, the Alliance worked with the NEA to create a separate selection panel for residencies in the multidisciplinary category, resulting in a 48% increase in NEA funding to residencies.
- "Be Our Guest," a series of public programs on residencies, serving artists from around the country.