Chulitna Lodge Artist-In-Residence Program seeks to provide the time, space, clarity, and facilities for all forms of creative professionals to make and meditate.
We encourage the gamut, from seasoned professionals to entheusiastic hobbyists, to apply for our various programs.
For more media on Chulitna Lodge and the residency program, look at our vlog:
To apply visit: https://chulitnalodge.slideroom.com/
Lake Clark National Park, Alaska: United States
Chulitna Lodge is 180 miles west of Anchorage, Alaska.
The property is an inholding on hundreds of square miles of national park, so there are no roads leading in or out.
The only access is by plane.
- Residency Length: 2-8 weeks
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 3
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 5
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 78
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Application deadline: January 15
- Application Ongoing: Yes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house), Private bedroom in a shared housing facility, Shared bedroom
- Meals: All/most meals are provided by organization
Our Chef is always super duper.
Fare tends towards veggie friendly, but meat is certainly available and delish.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared)
- Companions: Pets Allowed, Spouses/partners allowed for full stay, Children allowed for full stay
We love families and partners who cover their own stay.
Selected partners may be accepted on work/trade basis, if they have skills that can be put to use.
- Accessibility: no
Not wheelchair accessible.
- Studios/special equipment: Book Arts, Dance / Choreography, Digital media, Exhibition / Installation, Fiber arts, Film / Digital editing, Music studio (non-recording), Painting, Photography (digital), Photography (non-digital), Theater, Printmaking, Sculpture, Woodworking
Additional studio information:
Our Facilities are sufficient for many processes.
There is a complete wood-shop representing most every tool one would need.
Some Printmaking and Digital Photography facilities.
Welding and cutting tools. (Metal can be flown in, or repurposed from appliances/equipment collected over Chulitna's 80+ years.)
Light is ample, as is space for painters.
Staff members are available to help with any tool usage or technical assistance. There is 24 hour studio access
Writers and researchers will find our library a great place to find everything from obscure local native legends, to biology, anatomy or taxa.
Musicians - Please do apply!!
Most any material needed can be flown in, given enough notice.
$800/week double occupancy cabin
$1300/week single occupancy cabin
Includes all expenses from arrival to departure
Special additional rates available for family and/or studio assistants
Stipends / other support
Full scholarships include Room & Board plus flight from anywhere in the continental U.S. and commuter flight from Anchorage to Port Alsworth and require a minimum of 6 week commitment between June 1 and Sept 30.
Partial scholarships include Room & Board, but not transportation.
Work study options are also available.
All scholarship and work study artists are expected to participate in meal preparation, and clean up, and/or gardening.
Additional expectations / opportunities