Yaddo’s mission is to nurture the creative process by providing an opportunity for artists to work without interruption in a supportive environment. Yaddo offers residencies to professional creative artists from all nations and backgrounds working in one or more of the following media: choreography, film, literature, musical composition, painting, performance art, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and video. Artists are selected by panels of other professional artists without regard to financial means.
Saratoga Springs, New York: United States
- Residency Length: 2 weeks - 2 months
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 14-30
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 207
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 1653
- Application type: Open application
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Yaddo welcomes emerging as well as established artists to apply. Artists who qualify for Yaddo residencies are working at the professional level in their fields. An abiding principle at Yaddo is that applications for residency are judged on the quality of the artist's work and professional promise. Yaddo accepts approximately 200 artists each year.
Small groups (2 to 3 individuals) of artists wishing to work collaboratively are encouraged to apply. Each member of the group will need to submit an individual application. Work samples may represent individual work or previous collaborations. Specific concerns should be directed to the Program Director before application. Support personnel or interpretive artists, such as computer programmers, instrumentalists, set and lighting designers and dancers, cannot be included in a residency as part of a collaborative team.
Applications are considered by six independent admissions committees in the artistic disciplines represented at Yaddo: Literature, Visual Art, Music Composition, Performance, Film & Video, and Collaborative Teams. Applicants applying in this last category are judged as a team.
- Application deadline: August 01, January 01
- Additional deadline info: The deadline is January 1 for residencies starting May 1 of the same year through February of the following year, and August 1 for residencies starting November of the same year through May of the following year. The application fee is $35, plus a fee for media uploads, depending on the discipline, of $5 to $10. Contact Candace Wait, Program Director, at email@example.com, with questions and concerns.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house), Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
Each guest has a private bedroom in one of the several buildings on the estate and is assigned a private studio. Linens are provided, and laundry facilities are available. Some of the larger bedrooms serve as both living and working space for writers.
- Meals: All/most meals are provided by organization
Breakfast and dinner are taken communally; lunch is packed for each artist to enjoy at their leisure. Although the kitchen cannot offer meals for special diets, vegetarian alternatives are provided.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared), Wireless Internet, Ethernet provided in common area
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
Though the main buildings at Yaddo were built around the turn of the 20th century, improvements in accessibility are ongoing. There are wheelchair-accessible bedrooms, bathrooms, and studios (including the darkroom), and every effort is made to assist individuals with special needs.
- Studios/special equipment: Dance / Choreography, Music studio (non-recording), Painting, Photography (digital), Photography (non-digital), Printmaking, Sculpture
- Additional studio information:For visual artists, there are studios for painting and drawing, printmaking, sculpture, and welding, as well as a darkroom. Composers' studios are equipped with pianos. Appropriate table space is supplied for writers using computers.