Lijiang Studio pursues the meaningful interaction between local, Chinese, and non-Chinese artists, which contributes to the long-term development and stimulation of Lijiang.
Lijiang Old Town, Yunnan: China
Lijiang Studio’s main residency at Lashihai is in the town of Hainan, on the south end of the lake. The residency is immediately adjacent to a local family’s house, to whom we are very closely connected, sharing work, land and meals.
- Application type: Open application
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
Additional eligibility information:
We don't have an application so just send an email to info at lijiangstudio.org
- Application Ongoing: Yes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
The Lashihai residency currently has 4 small double bedrooms rooms available, and a dormitory with 8 beds. The residency has a large shared kitchen and eating area, two showers, two sinks, and two toilets. As it occupies a traditional family dwelling, living and working space has limited privacy.
- Meals: Some meals are provided
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Accessibility: no
Additional studio information:
There is shared studio space, some open and some enclosed, suitable for a variety of work from sculpture to video editing. There is currently no special equipment. Three wide bays not fully enclosed allow artists to work on wood, with clay, carve and paint. There is some natural light in those studios coming through the side, though no direct or fluorescent lights to work at night.
Artists are required to pay for their own airfare, internal transportation in China, appropriate insurance, production or project expenses, and general living expenses.
Stipends / other support
Additional expectations / opportunities
Our goal is the meaningful interaction between local, Chinese, and non-Chinese artists, which contributes to the long-term development and stimulation of Lijiang. To accomplish this, we require several things of visiting artists:
1. The visiting artist creates project(s) which involves local people,
2. The visiting artist organizes lessons, master classes, presentations, or workshops at least twice per month.
3. During the residency period, the artist should initiate or participate significantly in one special event according to his or her interest. This event should involve local artists and people, and may be done in collaboration with others. Lijiang Studio will help the artist organize this event.
A rough schedule of these requirements will be agreed upon within the first two weeks of the residency, and be revised according to circumstances. There will also be at least one mutual evaluation session between local artists, Lijiang Studio, and visiting artists for each project or residency period.
At the end of the residency period, the artist will donate some works to Lijiang Studio, primarily to serve as evidence of their residency and whatever stimulation may have come of it, and a record of their work for local people to access later. This work, or some version/representation of this work, must be available to Lijiang Studio to use for archives, presentations, exhibitions, web and print publishing, etc. Permissions for use must be discussed clearly before the visiting artist leaves Lijiang Studio.