Founded in 1973 and located on the former home of legendary poet Edna St. Vincent Millay, The Millay Colony for the Arts is an artists’ residency program and artists’ center located in the spectacular Berkshire foothills of Austerlitz, New York. Our mission is to nurture and promote the vitality of the arts by providing writers, visual artists and composers with a rural retreat that encourages creative intensity and exploration in the context of nurturing artistic community.
Austerlitz, New York: United States
- Residency Length: 1 month, two weeks or "Virtual"
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 7
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 64
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 1,050
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: Must apply and be accepted individually
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Millay welcomes writers, visual artists, and composers of all ages and at all points in their careers. International artists encouraged to apply. Repeat residencies after one year.
- Application deadline: March 01, October 01
- Application Ongoing: Yes
- Additional deadline info: One-month and "Virtual" residencies are available between the months of April and November. Two-week sessions are available in the month of September only. The Virtual Residency accommodates artists who cannot spend prolonged time away from home but could benefit from the support of a residency in modified form. The 'Virtual Resident' can participate in one of The Millay Colony's month-long residency on weekends only and will receive a stipend of $1,000 to assist in securing time off/childcare/art supplies or other resources necessary to the making of new work. October 1 for April through July of the following year. March 1 for August through November of the same year. Application information can be found at http://www.millaycolony.org/apply.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
Some private, some shared baths. All studios are spacious and private.
- Meals: All/most meals are provided by organization
The chef prepares dinner weeknights; residents prepare all other meals with food provided by Millay. Vegetarian meals available; cooking/kitchen facilities available to residents. We have our own organic vegetable gardens and get a CSA each year from a local bio-dynamic farm.
- Computer/internet access: Ethernet provided in common area, Ethernet provided in living or studio area
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
Facilities are fully accessible. The main building is a universal design; please contact Millay for details regarding special accessibility features for the hearing- and visually-impaired.
- Studios/special equipment: Music studio (non-recording), Painting, Photography (non-digital), Sculpture
- Other facilities and services: Limited transportation provided by the organization, mostly for arrival to and departure from the Colony. We have a car for residents' use.
Stipends / other support
Additional expectations / opportunities
Austerlitz, New York 12017