Emerging and mid-career visual artists, writers, composers, and artists of all disciplines are encouraged to apply for residency at Osage Arts Community. OAC is located in an isolated rural mountainside setting bordered the Gasconade River, providing a solitary retreat and a country environment to individual artists and collaborative teams.
Belle, Missouri: United States
- Residency Length: Varied (4-8 weeks)
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1-5
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 9
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 12
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Emerging and advanced visual artists of all disciplines, writers, and composers are encouraged to apply for residency at Osage Arts Community. We also invite collaborative teams to apply. Students are not eligible. At this time we do not accommodate performance or production crafts. Our primary criteria is the quality of your body of work and your ability to work in a somewhat isolated environment. Although preference is given to new applicants, we look forward to seeing artists on a regular basis.
- Application Ongoing: Yes
- Additional deadline info: There is no application deadline. Applications are continually reviewed.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
We offer a comfortable 1,500-sq.-foot renovated house and smaller 800-sq.-ft. studio.
- Meals: All/most meals are provided by organization
Artists are responsible for the preparation of their own meals. A pantry is stocked with groceries, basic staples and seasonings for common use. Special food items can be purchased by the resident. The nearest convenience store, supermarket and pharmacy is 10 miles away. In the future artists will be encouraged to use the one acre home-grown vegetable garden to supplement their meals.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared), Wireless Internet
- Accessibility: no
Our facilities are located in a remote rural area and the majority of our land is accessible only through dirt trails and unpaved roads. Be aware that the terrain is rolling and sometimes rugged. Artists using wheelchairs or who are visually-impaired cannot be accommodated at this time. OAC will try to accommodate each individual’s needs. Our long-term plans include accessibility improvements.
- Studios/special equipment: Ceramics / Pottery, Fiber arts, Painting, Sculpture, Woodworking
- Additional studio information:OAC’s current facility consists of a 6,000-sq.-ft. multi-purpose shop and ceramics, two general purpose studio spaces—25’ x 45’ and 20’ x 40’—both for painting, drawing, sculpture and mixed media and both equipped with easel, tables, hand tools and large wall space. The 160-acre site of land that surrounds the buildings can supplement indoor studio space. The studio’s best feature is privacy which can serve as outdoor studio space, a beautiful view of the natural environment, excellent natural light and walls upon which one can easily attach paper, canvas and other art materials. There is wooded and cleared land available for outdoor installations or workspace. Our location on the Gasconade River allows extended explorations of the river.
- Other facilities and services: Laundry facilities located on-site; local transportation to town is provided; smoking allowed outdoors only.