Penland's resident artists are full-time, self-supporting artists who spend three years living and working in the Penland School of Crafts community. The program is designed for artists who are at some pivotal moment in their career—the residency is an opportunity for them to test ideas and make choices that will have a lasting effect on their work and their lives. Resident artists may use the time to develop their studio practice, to work out the practicalities of making a living, to push technical and conceptual boundaries, or to explore entirely new directions in their work.
Penland, North Carolina: United States
- Residency Length: 3 years
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 7
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 4
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 86
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Artists must be self-supporting during the residency. Collaborating artists must apply and be accepted as collaborating artists and share studio space and one-bedroom housing.
- Application deadline: January 15
- Additional deadline info: Residencies begin September 15th, same year as deadline and selection.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)
Residents live in one-bedroom apartments located on the Penland grounds.
- Meals: Some meals are provided
Meals are provided when the school is in session, approximately March-April, June-August, and mid-September-mid-November
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Companions: Pets Allowed, Spouses/partners allowed for full stay, Children allowed for full stay
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
Penland's campus is located on terrain that is steep and uneven, but we have made efforts to make as much of the campus as possible accessible. We provide accessible parking for the dining hall and Penland studios. Some resident artist studios and housing are accessible; please inquire for more details.
- Additional studio information:Studios are unequipped; it is the responsibility of each resident to equip their studio.