The John Michael Kohler Arts Center (JMKAC), located north of Milwaukee in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, is known for promoting the understanding and appreciation of the work of self-taught and contemporary artists through exhibitions and commissioned works of art. Founded in 1967, JMKAC has preserved, studied, and exhibited artist-built environments, earning a worldwide reputation. Among its program offerings are community arts projects; artist residencies; and more.
Do you have a broad understanding of current performing arts disciplines (including music, dance, film and theatre)? Are you a creative problem solver with excellent project management skills and flexibility? Do you have an interest in working directly with artists and the community?
John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Sheboygan, WI, is currently seeking an Associate Curator of Programming (Performance Emphasis) to conceptualize, develop and implement performing arts programming, projects and commissions in alignment with the Arts Center’s mission and the long-term goals of the Programming Department.
Additionally, this position researches, proposes, plans and manages performing arts programming and projects related to all programming and exhibitions at the Arts Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
1. Conduct research, create proposals, and oversee performing arts programming including residencies, performances, Summer Music Series, film series, and other performing arts programming as needed and aligned with current exhibitions, collections, and programming themes.
2. Provide hands-on assistance in the execution of all performing arts activities.
Facilitate negotiation and generation of all performing arts contracts including licenses to ensure legal compliance is executed.
Contribute and produce original research and writing for JMKAC’s didactics, publications, social media, website, and other outlets; work closely with the Marketing team to communicate, promote, and publicize the Arts Center’s performing arts programming.
3, Assist the Development team with identifying grant opportunities for programs, including grant writing and reporting.
3. Ensure the creation and oversight of all performing arts programming budgets and secure in-kind contributions to aid in ensuring the best possible productions while staying within allocated budget.
4. Complete administrative tasks related to the department and collaborate with programming staff and technical support to develop and maintain performance-related workflows, logistics, and schedules.
5. Evaluate all performing arts programming from inception to conclusion and develop new and innovative approaches to programming through performance.
6. Maintain and strengthen the Arts Center’s regional, national and international professional networks; cultivate and maintain relationships with artists, donors, grantees, networks, and others relevant to JMKAC’s mission and work.
7. Be actively involved in appropriate, targeted meetings, conferences, and panels at local, state, and national levels.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Broad understanding of current performing arts disciplines (including music, dance, film, theatre) and technical production
Ability to work directly with artists and community
Excellent communication skills – verbal, oral and written
Maintain interpersonal relationships
Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Proficiency in Social Media sites (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat)
Master’s Degree in performing arts, arts administration, or a closely aligned field
Three to five years of experience in performing arts or programming equivalent