An integral part of a leading research university, Langson IMCA aspires to be a dynamic center for the study, presentation, and appreciation of California Art—the creative output forged by the state’s distinct features, history, peoples, and natural environments. Langson IMCA builds on UCI’s mission to position the arts as a core component of the university experience and a vibrant asset to Irvine and the region.
Department Website: https://imca.uci.edu/
UCI Jack and Shanaz Langson Institute and Museum of California Art (Langson IMCA) seeks to hire its first Chief Curator, someone with an entrepreneurial mindset who is motivated by this ground-floor opportunity to join the leadership team in building a new art museum and research institute that brings attention to the Golden State’s creative output.
- In conjunction with the Museum Director, the Chief Curator has creative and managerial responsibility for the curatorial vision of the museum and the development, management, and stewardship of its exhibitions and collections.
- The Chief Curator makes critical, strategic decisions regarding the museum's artistic directions and guides curatorial and collection development initiatives in accordance with art museum best practices.
- The Chief Curator is responsible for determining curatorial priorities; conceiving, developing, directing, and overseeing the implementation of temporary, permanent, and traveling exhibitions, both in-house and guest curated.
- The Chief Curator is also charged with strategically developing Langson IMCA’s permanent collection.
- This position also plays a collaborative role in developing public engagement activities, such as tours, lectures, conversations, panels, and exhibition-related programs; as well as Institute programs, such as scholarly publications, symposia, conferences, artist residencies, research fellowships, and interdisciplinary academic initiatives.
- The Chief Curator serves on various committees, including as an ex officio member of the museum’s Director’s Council.
- The Chief Curator also works in close collaboration with the Deputy Director on the administrative, financial, and external affairs aspects of exhibitions, programs, collections, and publications.
- This position directs and manages the curatorial and exhibition administration departments and co-leads collections staff.