Our mission: "To perpetuate and share the gifts of Rachel (“Bunny”) Lambert Mellon, including her residence, garden, estate and the Oak Spring Library, to serve the public interest. OSGF is dedicated to inspiring and facilitating scholarship and public dialogue on the history and future of plants, including the culture of gardens and landscapes and the importance of plants for human well-being."
The varied programs of the Oak Spring Garden Foundation (OSGF) include half-day or full day workshops, residential short courses, and residency and fellowship opportunities. OSGF also hosts ad-hoc tours, short-term visitors, researchers, and several annual special events. The Programs and Events Coordinator will be the primary point of contact for OSGF’s short term visitors, including short course participants, one-day or half-day workshop participants, and other ad-hoc tours or events on site. This person must be comfortable interacting and engaging with diverse audiences and must also be willing to work flexible hours including occasional evening and weekend hours.
The Programs and Events Coordinator will work especially closely with OSGF’s Chef and Head of Hospitality to ensure seamless delivery of meals to OSGF guests. They will operate as part of a four-person team that includes the Residency and Fellowship Programs Associate, the Program Administrator, and that report to the Director of Art and Residential Programs. Each member of this team plays a valuable role in stewarding OSGF’s programs, and while roles are mostly defined, the Programs Team is expected to take responsibility for programs and events and work in tandem to ensure the smooth delivery of programs.
The ideal candidate will be exceptionally well organized individual capable of organizing and successfully executing programs or events from start to finish. This position is well suited for an individual looking to join the OSGF community, committed to upholding OSGF’s high hospitality standards, and dedicated to ensuring the successful delivery of programs and guest experiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Prints key tags for all overnight guests.
- Prints name tags for short course or workshop attendees when appropriate
- Meets overnight guests during staff hours and checks them into their accommodations and gives a brief orientation of the grounds and guidance about areas that are off-limits or open to visitors
- Serves as the primary point of contact for overnight guests; answers inquiries swiftly and professionally
- Sets up the projector and assists with tech/AV when needed
- Maintains a list of local vendors, valet services, and rental companies; places orders as needed
- Assists visitors with wayfinding to meetings or events
- Places lunch or dinner orders with external caterers when the OSGF Chef is unavailable
- Works closely with the Program Administrator and Director of Art and Residential Programs to read, write, and edit Run of Shows; ensures that all guest meals and transportation needs are taken care of
- Assists with setting up and cleaning up meals as needed
- Assist with laundry and cleaning as needed
- Prints menus and name cards for special events
- Arranges ground transportation for guests with local drivers or taxi services
- Leads or assists with tours of Little Oak Spring and Rokeby Farm
- Bartends or serves at special events
- Sets up tea, coffee, and snacks for guests as needed
- Drives overnight guests to and from events and meals; drives guests to Dulles and from or other various locations when the OSGF driver and local services are not possible
- Assists with setting up and taking down signage before and after events
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and qualifications
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with diverse program attendees
- Highly responsible and willing to take initiative and ownership of events and programs
- Knowledgeable about hospitality best practices and willing to go the extra mile to deliver high quality events and programs
- Extremely organized and highly professional disposition
- Customer service oriented with experience in a forward-facing role is preferred but not required
- Skilled in oral and written communication
- Adaptable to change, and able to react swiftly and efficiently; able to communicate programmatic changes and needs across OSGF staff
- Must be able to legally drive in the US and be comfortable driving a 14-passenger van
- Proficient in gmail, and comfortable utilizing OSGF’s digital platforms including; Submittable, Airtable, and Canva
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
- Enthusiasm and interest in OSGF’s mission is a plus
The Oak Spring Garden Foundation (OSGF) is a 501(c)3 private operating foundation based in Upperville, Virginia with a mission to perpetuate and share Rachel Lambert Mellon’s home, garden, estate and Library to serve the public interest. The Foundation is dedicated to inspiring and facilitating scholarship and public dialogue on the history and future of plants, including the culture of gardens and landscapes and the importance of plants for human well-being. For additional information, please visit www.osgf.org.
OSGF intends to offer all visitors information and access to our site, staff, and resources while enjoying a comfortable stay on our rural and beautiful grounds.