The Skopelos Foundation for the Arts offers residencies for a period of three weeks for ceramists, mixed media artists, painters, printmakers, and sculptors from April through October. The mission of the Foundation is to promote the visual arts and education in the arts through cultural exchanges. The studio space is a sanctuary for artists to explore, reflect and dialogue within the unique community created by each cohort of resident artists - informed and inspired by the flora, fauna and citizens of Skopelos.
- Printmaking and ceramics residents must have a solid working knowledge of their medium and respective studio equipment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to navigate island terrain.
- Ability to interact with fellow artists in a positive, supportive manner.
- ·Residency proposals should have a coherent rationale, be relevant to the idea of cultural exchange, and demonstrate an awareness of the Foundation’s facilities.
- ·During the residency tourists may come through the studio. Artists are asked to cordially engage in conversation. These visits are infrequent, but important to the health of the organization.
- Artists will be asked to share a five-to-ten-minute presentation about their work during the residency. Each cohort will decide collectively with the Foundation director on the timing of this sharing exchange.
- The Foundation asks artists to leave one work in the permanent collection.
Residency Experience Summary
- Painting/Mixed Media - $750 - The artists are in charge of providing most supplies. We will supply items such as cleaners, paint thinners.
- Printmaking - $850 - All supplies are included with the exception of printmaking paper.
- Ceramics/Sculpture - $1000 - All supplies and two firings are included.