The BCA Playwright Residency is designed to support emerging playwrights by providing office space, rehearsal and performance space, marketing support, professional mentorship, access to community partnerships and workshops, and a platform for creating and producing innovative work.
In addition, this residency is designed to cater to each individual artist’s needs and help further their creative process. The playwright must create a new work while in residency.
Program applications will be evaluated based on an artist’s demonstration of the following 5 pillars:
- Experimentation – Does the artist’s practice display innovation, openness to new ideas, perspectives and techniques?
- Responsiveness – Is the artist’s work relevant, topical, in dialogue with issues of contemporary interest?
- Balance – Does the artist think holistically about the relationship between art and life?
- Community Engagement – Does the artist demonstrate a willingness and aptitude for significant give and take exchange among colleagues and audience?
- Potential Impact – How does the artist articulate the impact of access to their artistic career?
WE ARE LOOKING FOR PLAYWRIGHTS WHO:
- Are committed to incubating a new work
- Have written a complete work (short or full length play)
- Interested in presenting their work at a final staged reading at the end of the residency
- Playwrights local to Boston and surrounding areas