Residency dates: March 2 - 30, 2023.
International group residencies offer up to eight artists the opportunity to live and work at the Château de La Napoule complex. These residencies focus on individual artistic expression and exploration. At the core is a belief in the value of the shared experience of personal, professional, and artistic discovery that takes place within a supportive environment of peers. Residencies are open to all artistic genres.
Residents are housed in single rooms in the recently renovated Villa Marguerite, located across a small street from the Château. Rooms are equipped with private baths and each has sea or garden views. Wireless internet is available in the Villa’s common areas. Linen service is provided weekly. There is a washing machine, dryer, and clothesline at the Villa for residents’ use.
LNAF provides breakfast and dinner on weekdays. Meals are often held in the Château’s gothic dining room, providing the opportunity for exchange and community. For lunches and weekend meals, residents have full access to the kitchen in the Villa Marguerite to store and prepare their own food. The village of La Napoule also offers numerous restaurants and cafés just a few blocks from the Villa and Château.
LNAF provides each resident with a stipend, plus a studio space in which to work. Studios are located throughout the Château property, some inside the castle and some in towers on its grounds. Artists are asked to address any specific requirements for studio space in their applications.
Long sought after for its exquisite sunlight, the Côte d’Azur has inspired and produced centuries of artists. Additionally, its rich saturation of cultural institutions–museums, theaters, festivals and research centers–make it one of the most vibrant communities in which to live.
Residency Experience Summary
Applicants must apply through SlideRoom.
LNAF residencies are open to all emerging and established artists over the age of 18 with no limitation on artistic discipline or nationality. Participants are expected to be able to communicate effectively in English or French.
- Artists may apply once every calendar year.
- Although alumni are encouraged to apply, priority may be given to artists who have not yet received an LNAF Residency.
- Due to the historic nature of our facilities, we regret that the Château and Villa are not handicapped accessible at the present time.
- Couples must apply separately. There are no provisions for family, friends, children, or pets at the Château.
Applications are reviewed by an international panel according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of artistic vision as articulated in the artist statement and work samples
- Persuasive evidence that the applicant is committed in purpose and practice
- Clear evidence that the artist works at a professional level in his/her/their field
- Indications that the applicant is moving forward with a project; and of the significance and critical role that the residency at La Napoule will play in that project
- Willingness to work in a dynamic environment that encourages interaction with other artists
- Appropriate adherence to application guidelines