The Whirlybird Compound Artist Residency Program is a haven for artists, founded by artists - Christy and Jim. Our aim is to provide a supportive, uplifting, and culturally immersive environment where artists can flourish. Located in the enchanting St. Landry Parish of South Louisiana, our Folk Art-inspired compound boasts three spacious repurposed buildings and an outdoor bandstand, all designed to offer artists the perfect setting to create and thrive.
The Whirlybird Compound Artist Residency Program is thrilled to invite professional and emerging artists from all disciplines to apply for a Special Residency Opportunity: Workshop Residency during Blown Away on the Bayou Blues & Harmonica Summit. Discover the heart of Acadiana and the Blues at our second annual Blown Away on the Bayou Harmonica & Blues Summit, taking place from October 18 to October 22, 2023.
Whether you are drawn to immerse yourself in the Summit or have a distinct artistic project in mind, we welcome your application. Selected Artist in Residence will have the opportunity to participate (Summit registration fees fully covered) in all scheduled activities, while also working on their own distinct artistic project. This dedicated residency strives to provide an environment for artists to engage with the Summit while also creating and flourishing in a supportive, culturally immersive environment.
Residency Experience Summary
Open to artists of all disciplines. If you are passionate about cultural exchange and eager to be inspired by the unique heritage of Acadiana, we encourage you to apply.
Blown Away on the Bayou Special Residency Opportunity offers access to an immersive event featuring world-class musicians and instructors from Louisiana and beyond, offering blues instruction in harmonica, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and accordion, catering to all skill levels. And if you're not inclined towards instrumental lessons, our daily gospel choir sessions offer an alternative way to participate and perform during our Saturday night concert. Or you can simply observe and be inspired by the Summit.
- Please take a moment to complete application here
- Required information includes:
- Persoanl information (address, phone, email)
- Brief summary of your artistic background
- Goals for residency
- Letter of support/recommendation
- Community Lagniappe Ideas: Form of a reading, workshop, presentation, or exhibit during your residency.
- Website or social links highlighting your work
- If not active online, please email CV, portfolio, sample of work, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Residency takes place from October 11 - October 25, 2023.
Residency Application deadline is September 25, 2023.
For this Special Opportunity Residency, the total cost to the artist in $1,500. The Whirlybird Residency Program will cover the $750 registration fee for the Summit + meals.
The $1500 residency fee covers your accommodations and includes:
- a private bedroom with a full bed
- bathroom amenities
- access to a shared kitchen (from Oct. 11 through the morning of Oct. 18, and, the evening of Oct. 22 through departure on Oct. 25)
- Nourishing meals - breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner will be provided during the Summit and prepared by our master Cajun Chef (Oct. 18-22). Any special dietary needs will be considered.
- access to our inspiring facilities. A working studio space for rehearsal or your creative practice.
- all access, services, and participation in Blown Away on the Bayou Summit. The Whirlybird Residency Program will cover the $750 registration fee for the Summit + meals.
The selected artist is responsible for:
- all travel to and from residency
- transportation for any engagements taking place off-property
- providing food from arrival on Oct. 11 through the morning of Oct. 18, and, the evening of Oct. 22 through departure on Oct. 25. Christy & Jim offer shopping trip transportation)
Full registration + food to Blown Away on the Bayou Summit will be covered by The Whirlybird Residency for $750