Located in the heart of Savannah’s Starland District at Sulfur Studios, the ON::VIEW Artist Residency provides a free, high visibility studio space for an artist to complete a new project, to continue an in-progress endeavor, or to conduct research exploring conceptual, material, performative, and social practices. The studio’s large windows look out onto Bull Street, the district’s main thoroughfare, allowing the artists’ work to be on view to the community at all times. Sulfur Studios’ visitors and passersby on the sidewalk witness the artists’ process as it unfolds in real time, seeing all the steps involved from concept to final execution. Community events like workshops, performances, public art projects and artist talks, offer creative ways to interact with the public. The ON::View Residency supports artists from across the globe, working in all media.
Just five blocks east of the Residency Studio, the 5th Dimension Apartment features a full kitchen, bath and main room to comfortably house the Artist (+1 guest if requested) for month-long Residency stays. The 5th Dimension Apartment has a private gated entrance and private garden with plenty of space to create, lounge and entertain. It is our hope that by providing lodging for ON::View Artists that we will accommodate a diverse range of creatives from far and wide, as we continue to fulfill our mission to make Savannah a destination for the arts.
Residency Experience Summary
Nitty Gritty Details:
Located just off the lobby in Sulfur Studios, the Residency Studio is 12 x 12 feet with large street level, east facing windows, which allow the community to view the Residents’ work 24/7. Artists may work in any medium suitable for the space.
Artists will have multiple opportunities to meet and connect with the local art community, and our ON::Call for ON::View list of Savannah experts provides unique one-on-one access to some of the city’s most knowledgeable and esteemed citizens specializing in Savannah history, art, activism, native flora and fauna, music, science and more, in support of Residents’ research and to provide additional avenues of community support during their residency period.
All ON::View Residents will do an Instagram Takeover for the duration of their Residency, sharing their process via @onviewresidency
All ON::View Residents will have the opportunity to participate in an annual group exhibition featuring all of the Residents of the last year. The exhibition will take place in January, 2024.
The ON::View Studio provides 24 hour access to Residents. Additionally, Residents must commit to working in the studio during our public open hours (TH - SUN, noon to 5PM) a minimum of one day per week.
- Dates of Residency periods are firm. There are no exceptions for early move ins, late move outs, etc. as the spaces must be prepared for the next incoming Resident. Residents must be present during the First Friday Program Finale (see specific dates below).
- Residents are encouraged to engage the community by giving a public lecture or workshop, or other interactive event during their stay.
Artists coming from out of town must cover their own travel costs. We offer lodging for accepted Residents at the 5th Dimension Apartment, located 5 blocks east of Sulfur Studios.
The Residency Studio has open air flow into the lobby and gallery area which makes the following restrictions necessary:
- No aerosol or other toxic/high-voc materials are allowed in the space.
- No ongoing or repetitive loud noises, such as grinding. Occasional use of hand and power tools IS allowed.
- The Residency Studio is climate controlled, but due to its proximity to the doors and the large windows it can be warmer/cooler than the rest of the space depending on outside temperature.
- Limited furnishings in the Residency Studio are available. Accepted applicants must provide their own materials and supplies.
- Sulfur Studios does not insure the property of the Resident artist.
- Current Studio members or artists who have rented a studio at Sulfur Studios in the last 6 months are not eligible for this Residency.
- Collaborative teams are eligible for the Residency. One proposal should be submitted for the entire team. The 5th Dimension Apartment can house 2 artists comfortably, if teams of more than 2 artists would like to submit, making additional housing arrangements is encouraged.
- Artists may seek additional support or funding from other organizations to cover project costs if they wish. Sulfur Studios will be happy to provide a letter of support to accepted Residents seeking grants or other funding sources.
Step 1. Click Here to pay the $50 application fee. If the fee is an undue burden please let us know about your situation in your proposal and we may choose to waive the fee at our discretion.
Step 2. Click Here to fill out the application and submit your proposal. Your proposal should include the following:
- Project Description (Maximum 750 words - PDF upload):
- We offer Residency periods of 1 - 3 months. Please indicate how many months you are requesting for your Residency. What do you plan on working on during the Residency? Please be specific.
- What needs and limitations do you have in terms of the work space?
- How will you utilize the large Residency windows to share your process with visitors outside normal hours?
- What type of community engagement programming are you interested in providing? Workshops, artist talks, performances are all encouraged.
- Which month(s) are you available for a Residency? Rate the month(s) that you would prefer in order from 1 - 4. We cannot guarantee that if accepted you will be given your top rated time slot.
Also include the following:
- Artist Statement
- Resume and/or Biography
- Website link that includes 8 - 10 images of recent work - Does not have to be the exact work you will be creating during the Residency, but should demonstrate the style and quality of your work.