Hypatia-in-the-Woods was created to provide physical and mental space, solitude, and time for women to pursue their creative endeavors, undistracted by everyday demands of job, family and other obligations. We invite artists, writers, academics and business women to experience the tranquil setting of Holly House, the small cottage that serves as our residential retreat and study center.
"It is impossible to pursue original thought in the scattered remnants of the day or a lifetime" -Judith Gorch
Shelton, Washington: United States
Hypatia-in-the-Woods and the residence, Holly House, is located on 3.5 acres of a Pacific Northwest cedar and fir forest. Only a few miles outside the small town of Shelton, WA, and near the Olympic National Forest, it sits above Hammersley Inlet, a part of the Salish Sea (Puget Sound). Serenity and inspiration for our residents is the focus of our mission.
- Residency Length: 1-4 weeks
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 21
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 50
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: Must apply and be accepted individually
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Application deadline: February 15, May 15, August 15, November 15
- Additional deadline info:
Applications are read on a quarterly basis for assignment to available time up to ten months ahead, e.g. Feb. 15 for final quarter of calendar year, May 15 for first quarter of next calendar year)
Past Residents & Quotes
“The Holly House provided much more than a place to stay. It gave me solitude to focus, inspiration for my creativity, and a chance to follow my dreams.” “Time is the greatest gift we can offer ourselves as writers, as artists, as human beings. It’s a joy to be here.”
“I came here for three weeks to paint, which I did, but, as so many have said before me, my time here has been so much richer than that. …The first week here I sat in gratitude as I felt the knots unwinding in my mind."
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)
Cottage is five miles from nearest town.
- Meals: No meals/food provided
The cottage has a small, efficient kitchen.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in living or studio area (private), Wireless Internet
- Accessibility: no
The residence has some accessibility features but is not completely accessible.
- Other facilities and services: Members of the board live nearby and provide in-person instructions upon arrival and offers of socializing during a resident's stay, such as a potluck with the board or tour of the area, if desired.
There is no fee. Many of our residents contribute some or a part of our estimated $35 per day cost of operating Holly House, but no worthy applicant is turned away because of inability to contribute.
Stipends / other support
The board will assist successful applicants who wish to offer performances or workshops during their stay to find venues. While a vehicle is extremely useful in our rural location, our volunteers can usually assist residents who come without transport in getting to town for groceries, to do laundry, and other needs.
Additional expectations / opportunities
This is a solo residency, not a community environment; residents are responsible for their own meals, laundry and other daily needs.