Located in Nebraska City, Nebraska, a quiet riverside town in the Midwest, The Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, founded in 2001, serves visual artists, writers, interdisciplinary artists and composers from around the world by providing them the space and time to create new work.
Nebraska City, Nebraska: United States
- Residency Length: 2-8 weeks
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 5
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 65
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 395
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: Must apply and be accepted individually
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Transitional Residencies Awards: The Center's program gives special support to emerging artists by reserving a number of "transitional" residencies for recent masters degree graduates (within two years of application deadline). The application process is the same for all applicants, however applications from artists in transition following graduation from an accredited degree program receive special consideration.
Nebraska Artist Residencies: The Kimmel Harding Nelson program provides special support to Nebraska artists by ensuring that a number of residencies are awarded to Nebraska artists each year. The application process is the same for all applicants, however applications from Nebraska artists receive special consideration.
The KHN Center defines Nebraska artists are those who are currently living and working in the state, grew up in Nebraska, or received their degree from a Nebraska university or college.
Past residents of KHN are asked to wait 3 years before applying for another residency. Artists are limited to 2 residencies at KHN within their lifetime.
- Application deadline: March 01, September 01
- Additional deadline info: March 1 is the deadline for Session 2 residencies to take place the following July – December. September 1 is the deadline for Session 1 residencies to take place the following January – June.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
One or two residents are housed in each of three large apartments. Private bedroom and bathroom; furnishings and linens provided.
- Meals: No meals/food provided
Weekly stipend provided to help artists with meal expenses. $100/week. Meals are the responsibility of residents; cookware, dishes, utensils, etc., are provided.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared), Wireless Internet
- Accessibility: no
Our facility has limited accessibility. Please contact us for information.
- Studios/special equipment: Music studio (non-recording), Painting, Printmaking
- Additional studio information:Private writer’s studios are located in two of the apartments. Visual artists: three studios -- two of which are approximately 425 square feet and one that is 258 square feet. Special equipment available: Scroll saw, table saw, sp15 vandercook printing press, one aluminum easel, one wooden easel. Some hand tools available. Artists are encouraged to bring all equipment/supplies necessary to their process. Please call with questions regarding studios and equipment available Musicians/Composers: a studio with an upright piano; two Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A monitors and a Mackie 4-channel compact mixer.
- Other facilities and services: Laundry facilities on-site; smoking permitted outdoors only.