La Porte Peinte is an international arts centre located in Noyers sur Serein, a medieval village in Burgundy that is recognized as one of the 100 most beautiful villages in France. Based in a rambling medieval half-timbered building that leans out over the village square like something from a fairy tale, La Porte Peinte offers artists, makers, musicians and writers in residence the opportunity to engage in creative exploration and exchange in an unusually inspiring and supportive environment. Doors opened in September 2011 with the first artists in residence and the launch of the 160 m2 ground-floor gallery. 2013 and 2014 saw the opening of a tea room, a shop, an arts club, and B & B accommodation in La Porte Peinte’s seven comfortable bedrooms, which can house up to 15 people. Workshop spaces and event spaces are available for classes and performances. Along with residency accommodation, each creator in residence chooses the private studio space most suited to their practice.
Noyers sur Serein: France
- Residency Length: Between 2 weeks and 6 months.
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 3 - 5
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 10
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 40
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
We welcome artists, performers, writers, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, and creative thinkers. Collaborative groups and partnerships are welcome to apply. Our physical resources include private studios appropriate for painting or sculpture, outdoor covered spaces, and several small indoor spaces that lend themselves to writing. We have a simple analog photography darkroom. For those who wish to explore locally available materials and technologies, these resources include limestone and lime plaster, iron, pigments, clays from the Puisaye area, and oak.
At La Porte Peinte, in addition to our core self-directed residency programme, we offer individually tailored mentored residencies for artists of any age.
- Application Ongoing: Yes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
- Meals: No meals/food provided
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Companions: Spouses/partners allowed for full stay, Children allowed for full stay
Usually it is preferable for a resident not to be accompanied by a non-working companion, but we will consider such requests. If an artist wishes to bring a child, we would endeavour to arrange for full-time child-care, for which there would be a supplementary fee.
- Accessibility: no
This is a medieval building. Doorways are narrow and there is no elevator.
- Studios/special equipment: Exhibition / Installation, Painting, Photography (digital), Photography (non-digital)