´ace is an acronym that stands for "arte contemporáneo en expansión", which is Spanish for "expanding contemporary art". Its main mission is to promote contemporary artistic practices and the exploration of their multiple interfaces through residency programs, which are aimed at artists, curators and researchers, and promote collaborative work, exchange, debate and experimentation.
The Palimpsest Project is a mural painting residency conceived as a “work in progress”. Recovering the word palimpsest's original meaning, our terrace becomes a living organism in which the artists paint their murals by dialoguing, intervening or overlapping with the previous ones. Palimpsesto is a project in constant mutation, in which artists are encouraged to superimpose their murals or interlace them with the previous ones, achieving a new awakening of what was already on the wall. More than an individual work, the murals express the superposition of many hands, residences and artists. These actions are considered a way to embrace and, at the same time, demystify the work of the other.
This residency program is aimed at career or emerging visual artists, with a special interest in muralism and/or urban art. Groups of up to 2 members can apply together to work collaboratively. In addition, in these residencies, there is the possibility of working collectively collaborating with other residents or local artists, as well as carrying out additional projects in mural festivals or in public spaces.
Residency Experience Summary
´ace holds four open calls a year (deadlines are: January 31st, April 30th, July 31st and October 31st), and artists-in-residency are selected through their submitted proposals. The program focuses on expanded art practices (both physical and digital), including visual arts, performance art, sound art, and curatorial projects, with a special interest in proposals that make use of various medium or dissolve the borders between them. Our printmaking workshop fosters the idea of the multiple in a work of art, involving –but not circumscribed only to– traditional and innovative printmaking, installation, photography, artist book, painting illustration, video, stop motion, sound art and new media. Since 2005, ´ace has been working as a driving force that links not only different artistic practices within the cultures that produce them, but also between the residents and the rich cultural, urban and social community of the City of Buenos Aires.
Fees vary according to the age of the resident (sub30 artists have a reduced fee), the duration of the residency, and other items such as housing, materials, residency project requirements, etc. ´ace also hosts residents whose fees are paid by their institutions (local art councils, universities, etc.), with which we can sign a one-time or an ongoing agreement.
BASIC FEE INCLUDES:
- Studios access from 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, equipped with air conditioner/heating and WIFI
- Technical and conceptual guidance, portfolio reviews and critiques on work in progress
- Painting materials for the mural (please consult with us which materials are included to make sure what will be provided for your specific project, and what will not)
- A permanent profile as a resident within our webpage in the ARTISTS section
- Welcome and farewell meals, coffee/tea/cold beverages, fresh fruits and some pastries available around the clock
- A SUBE card (city transportation card for buses, train and subway) with an initial charge paid by us
- Accidents insurance during time working in the studio
- Open Studio or other presentation format at the end of the program
RESIDENCY FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Inbound and outbound tickets to Buenos Aires
- Visas, when needed (most North-American, Latin-American, European and Oceanian citizens don’t need a visa to enter Argentina)
- Commissions on money transfers and bank wiring
- Lodging (you can stay in our apartments paying an additional fee or stay in one of the multiple options that are available in the city)
- Health insurance (including dental care)
- Special materials (please check with us for specific materials that you will need for your project)
- Shipping of the works produced during the residency