Aviário Studio Ceramics Residency
An art residency provides the technical conditions, time, and space to develop ideas and try new approaches. It is a moment that promotes connection between artists from different backgrounds and consequently the exchange of knowledge and experiences.
Aviário Studio Ceramics Residency aims to promote the exploration and production in the Ceramics field. The program is customized according to the participating artist’s goals regarding duration, outcome and focus. We offer the conditions to test possibilities and materialize ideas. On one hand, it can be a moment of transition, more connected to experimentation, research and learning new techniques; on the other hand, it can be the point of consolidation of a project translated into the production of a new body of work.
Specific Equipments Available:
- Gas Kiln (1100º) 90x90x90 cm/35,43x35,43x35,43 in
- Electric Kiln (1200º) 70x50x40 cm/27,56x19,69x15,75 in
- 2 electric Pottery Wheels
Estrada da Ribeira de São Silvestre, 10, Chão da Serra
2240-334 Ferreira do Zêzere
Residency Program Information
Residency Program Summary
- Artists have to make sure when applying that they are able to cover the costs of the Residency fee, travel, materials and food.
- Artists must be over 21 years old at the time of their arrival.
Residency Fee includes :
- accommodation in a shared house,
- studio access during opening hours (Mon.-Fri. from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- technical assistance
- weekly project discussion
- exhibition for residencies lasting 1 month or more
2 weeks - 540 €
3 weeks - 790 €
4 weeks/1 month - 1040 €
5 weeks - 1290 €
6 weeks - 1540 €
7 weeks - 1790 €
8 weeks/2 months - 2040 €
9 weeks - 2290 €
10 weeks - 2540 €
11 weeks - 2790 €
12 weeks/3 months - 3040 €
4 months - 4040 €
5 months - 5040 €
6 months - 6040 €
At the moment we do not have any grant available, but we encourage artists to apply for external financial support.
Housing & Accomodation
Artists will be hosted in a shared house in the center of Ferreira do Zêzere, 2 km/1,24 mi away from Aviário Studio.
The house is on the ground floor, has three double bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom and a toilet, a full-equipped kitchen, and some outside space.
Each artist has clean sheets and towels each week.
There is wi-fi in the house.
There are four bicycles to share. Each weekday there is a ride from the house to the studio at 10 a.m. and a ride back to the home from the studio at 6 p.m.
Studio & Facilities
Aviário Studio is a creative playground in the countryside, right in the middle of Portugal. The building is a renovated aviary immersed in nature and just 2 km/1,24 mi away from Ferreira do Zêzere town, and 6 km/3,73 mi away from the river Zêzere.
The studios are a set of workshops, with common spaces and individual workspaces:
- 1 common area with kitchen and 3 toilets (one adapted for people with reduced mobility)
- 1 room for the development of projects with irregular dimensions and/or materials
- 4 workshops:
2 are equipped to work image: screen printing, printmaking, digital work, drawing and bookbinding
2 are equipped to work object: wood, metal and ceramics
- large area of outside space