Tusen Takk Foundation Artist Residency
Tusen Takk’s residencies are geared for artists to explore new ideas or expand current work. We look for ideas and work that will affirm and enrich the human spirit, giving form to chaos and perception to beauty.
Tusen Takk was designed to host one resident, or two in collaboration, for residencies between three and eight weeks. The single most important qualification for artists invited to Tusen Takk is that they have created a body of work that exemplifies excellence and has (or could) significantly contribute(d) to their artistic field. Tusen Takk welcomes applications from both emerging and established visual artists in photography, printmaking, sculpture, painting, textiles, as well as creative writers and music composers.
Leland, MI 49654
Residency Program Information
Residency Program Summary
Artists should be self-motivated so they can be productive in the relative isolation afforded by a residency, with a giving spirit that’s exemplified by a willingness to share insights with audiences about their work and processes. While in residence, artists are encouraged to engage with the local arts community; this could take the shape of a small-scale workshop or studio visit, or a public artist’s talk, exhibition, or performance, either virtually or in collaboration with one of the Foundation’s partner organizations.
Tusen Takk welcomes applications from both mid-career and established visual artists working in photography, printmaking, sculpture, painting, textiles, as well as creative writers and composers who have/are:
- The ability to produce a consistent body of high-quality work
- A dedication to their artistic practice with a desire to spend at least 30 hours a week in the studio
- The self-motivation needed to work alone. Unless the residency is to be a collaboration between two people, the vast majority of the time the resident will be living and working in solitude
- A willingness to engage audiences
- An openness to sharing thoughts on their work, their practice, and their processes through Tusen Takk’s online and printed publications
- Comfortable communicating with Tusen Takk’s English-speaking staff and audiences
- 21 or older
- US citizenship or the ability to obtain a US visa (if needed). Most international artists can come on a visitor visa, but certain countries do not participate in the visa waiver program. Since delays can occur, international applicants should be sure to check the visa appointment wait times. Upon offer of a residency, the Tusen Takk Foundation is able to provide letter(s) of invitation.
- Alumni Tusen Takk artists are welcome to reapply 5 years after their last residency
Please note that we are seeking applications from artists whose practice is based in the disciplines listed above, those best supported by our current facilities. At this time, we are not accepting applications from artists proposing to work primarily in movement, dance, performance, academic research, journalism/critique, or film (editing or production).
An honorarium of $625/week helps to cover residency-related costs including travel, shipping, materials, and day-to-day living expenses
While not 100% ADA compliant, a concerted effort was made to design the Tusen Takk Guesthouse for differing mobility needs. The living quarters and the conjoined painting studio, finishing studio, woodshop, and library are located on the ground floor (no steps). Arrangements can be made to move basement equipment up to the ground floor, if necessary. A spec sheet with doorway dimensions is available upon request. There are no elevators in Tusen Takk’s buildings and there are unpaved trails and paths throughout the property.
Any questions about the facilities and programs in relation to accessibility needs can be directed to Maggie Pavao, Assistant Director.
The living quarters and the conjoined painting studio, finishing studio, woodshop, and library are located on the ground floor (no steps). Arrangements to move equipment to accessible locations can be discussed. There are no elevators in Tusen Takk’s buildings and there are unpaved trails and paths throughout the property.
There are no elevators in Tusen Takk’s buildings and there are unpaved trails and paths throughout the property which is inaccessible for those using wheelchairs. There are studios with equipment in the basement.