Essere Residency, newly founded in 2023, is a self-directed program designed to encourage the creative and personal growth of writers, artists and creatives of all disciplines at any stage of their career or personal self-expression. Essere means ‘to be‘ in Italian and this residency celebrates the soul of the artist with time and space to be in the tranquility and historic richness of rural Tuscany.
This is a place to pause, breathe and explore. Being is prioritized over doing. In this creative incubator, there is no pressure to produce or perform. We trust that by nourishing your inner life, inspired action will result. Each person’s unique creative process is fostered within the context of a vibrant international community.
Whether you need dedicated time to bring a project to completion, or space to envision something totally new, this two-week residency delivers the right amount of structure, support and solitude.
Days are free to explore your creative vision and share perspectives with artists of different ages and cultures from all over the world. Evenings we come together for inspiring talks by the Artists in Residence on topics of relevance to all, such as Mindset & the Successful Artist, Coaxing the Intuitive Muse, and Authentic Marketing. These talks are followed by a delicious 3-course dinner and wine prepared by our local chef.
Individual mentorship in specific disciplines is available by appointment with the AiRs and residency Director Jennie Lee will be offering personal coaching support, guided meditations and yoga.
Possible excursions to Florence and nearby thermal springs may be organized as well as an on-site cooking class. All in all, you can expect two weeks filled with joy and inspiration!
Residency Experience Summary
- Application form in English. (Applications submitted in any other language cannot be processed.)
- 1-2 letters of reference (These will be uploaded directly by the referees into the online portal)
- A short-form curriculum vitae (No more than three pages in length.)
- Artist's statement
- A short description of the project you will be working on while at the residency
- 1-5 relevant samples of your work.
- $25 application fee, payable by credit card at the end of the application
Lodging & meals
- 14 nights private accomodation in historic Tuscan home
- 10 three-course dinners including wine
- Housekeeping service twice weekly
- Bed and bath linens, with a full change after the first week
- Shared kitchens and living spaces in each of the homes
- Free Laundry facilities
- Free WiFi
- Free parking
- Tourist tax of 1 € per person per day
Workshops, mentorship & more:
- 8 craft talks by guest Artists in Residence
- 6 guided meditation sessions
- Individual mentorship meetings with the guest AIRs
- Individual meeting with the Director, Jennie Lee
- Assistance in finding materials and supplies
- Opportunity to present your work in progress
- Publication of your profile (if desired) on our social media
- Invitation letter and residency plan to help secure private funding
Studios & shared work spaces:
- Two independent art studio spaces
- Abundant outdoor space with meditation benches and wooded walking paths
- Spacious great room with large fireplace, comfortable antique furniture & stunning views of the countryside. Here we share yoga, meditation & evening workshops. It is also available for personal use during the day.
- Il Granaio which has a dining area upstairs and library downstairs.
Partial scholarships may be available. Please indicate your need on application.