For over 55 years, Peninsula School of Art has supported the advancement of visual artists’ careers, the creative process, and the development of new work. Originally a seasonal destination for artists and educators to make, exchange ideas, and collaborate, PenArt has evolved into a national arts hub; working with a growing audience through innovative workshops, exhibitions, and public programs. With such value placed on taking risks and pursuing new directions throughout our history, we are thrilled to expand our support of the artists of today through our Artists-in-Residence Program.
Designed for artists of all career stages, the Artists-in-Residence Program is an immersive studio experience awarded to six individuals each year. The program prioritizes time and space for residents to engage fully in their creative practice, experiment, and pursue new projects and ideas. In an environment that encourages contemplation, experimentation, and exchange, this program is invested in new modes of thinking and working in the field of visual art.
- Six-week residency sessions
- Two artists-in-residence at a time
- 24-hour access to 500 square foot, semi-private workspace in our new Madeline Tourtelot Studio Building.
- Access to printmaking, digital, metals, and ceramics studios and equipment.
- Private bedroom in shared, fully furnished Resident House located directly across the street.
- One-hour studio visit with session's Visiting Critic
- Opportunities to engage with the public about their work and process
- October 31 - December 12, 2024
- January 9 - February 20, 2025
- April 3 - May 15, 2025
What You Need to Apply
- Contact information
- Artist statement (150 words maximum)
- Letter of interest outlining why a residency experience is important to you at this point in time. Note, PenArt's residency program is not tied to a specific outcome or project. (500 words maximum)
- Ten samples of work completed in the last five years, including images and/or video
- Contact information for three references
- Scheduling preferences
- $35 non-refundable application fee
Residency Experience Summary
- Artists must be 21 years of age
- Artists may not be enrolled in a degree granting program at the time of the residency
- Artists of all visual disciplines and career levels are eligible to apply
- Small collaborative teams are eligible to apply. Please note, if selected, PenArt is only able to accommodate two members of a collaborative team to live on-site and participate in the residency.
The actual cost of supporting an artist for six weeks is $3,600. Thanks to the generous support of donors and granting organizations, the artist’s contribution for an individual residency is $750.
A select number of the six residencies are fully funded fellowships awarded by the selection panel. Please indicate your interest in being considered for funding on the application.